Foodie Fridays: Meyer Lemon Ricotta Cake with Almond
It's Friday Again!What's a better way to kick off to Spring than a delightful lemon cake? This recipe was recommended to me by a friend, she baked it for a recent gathering and showcased it on our Edgey Pedestal Stand. She found the recipe at Cooking Melangery. Enjoy - Annie
Foodie Friday Recipe: Meyer Lemon Ricotta Cake with Almond
- 8 Tbsp. (120g) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (200g) sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1/4 cup lemon zest ( I used 2 large Meyer lemons)
- lemon juice from 1/2 lemon
- 4 eggs, at room temperature, separated
- 2 1/2 cups (240g) almond meal
- 10 1/2 oz. (300g) ricotta
- flaked almonds, for the top
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Line one 9x2-inch cake pan with parchment paper. At least 20 minutes before baking, position an oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 325F (160C).
- Place the butter, sugar, vanilla seeds and lemon zest in an electric mixer bowl and beat together until light and pale in color. Add the lemon juice, and mix well. Then add the egg yolks one at the time, beating well each time to ensure the mixture is smooth and creamy. Fold the almond meal and ricotta.
- In another bowl whisk the egg whites until stiff, and then gently fold into ricotta mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan, level of the surface, sprinkle with flaked almonds and then place in the oven to bake for 40-45 minutes. Leave to cool in a pan for 10 minutes before turning the cake onto a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar, then cut the warm cake into wedges and serve. Serves: 5-6